Hosting Blackberry OTA Downloads
It's pretty trivial to host OTA (over-the-air) installs, provided you've got a web server and the correct mime types configured. This example is for Apache web servers. This is also assuming you've got a working Apache installation. Paths are from a FreeBSD system, and may differ from Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows servers.
- Find your mime.types configuration file, located in /usr/local/etc/apache22/mime.types on FreeBSD, and add the following lines to the bottom:
text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor jad application/vnd.rim.cod cod application/java-archive jar
- Restart the Apache server process
- Upload your application or theme. Please note, if you're using FTP to transfer your files, you MUST use binary mode for COD files. ALX and JAD are standard text files and will work fine with ASCII-mode transfers. You'll get an 'Invalid COD 907' error if you transfer CODs with ASCII-mode.
- If you upload all the files to your web root directory, the install should work without a problem.
- If you change file names or put your COD files in a different location than your JAD files, you need to edit the JAD as follows:
- Update each line that starts with RIM-COD-URL to point to the full path of the file name, relative to your web directory.
- If you have more than one COD, make sure you get ALL of the RIM-COD-URL lines. Missing one will result in a 404 error during install.
- Update the rest of the fields as appropriate.
- Test your install.
|MIDlet-Version||The version number for your application. (eg 1.0)|
|RIM-COD-Module-Name||The name of your theme or application.|
|MIDlet-Name||The name of your theme or application. This field and RIM-COD-Module-Name should match.|
|RIM-COD-Size||Size, in bytes, of your COD file.|
|RIM-COD-URL||URL in which your COD file can be downloaded.|
|MIDlet-Description||A brief description of your theme or application.|
|RIM-COD-SHA1(optional)||The SHA1 hash of your COD file. This is an optional field.|
|MIDlet-Vendor||The name of the vendor or author.|
Here's what the JAD looks like for my basic theme, with a single COD:
MIDlet-Version: 0.3 RIM-COD-Module-Name: SCN Today MIDlet-Name: SCN Today RIM-COD-Size: 44968 RIM-COD-URL: scn.cod MIDlet-Description: Hosted at http://bbthe.me for free! RIM-COD-SHA1: 36 01 59 8c 02 49 63 8b ed ce fb 01 d3 91 c1 ab 54 38 2c 95 MIDlet-Vendor: Secure Computing Networks
If all this seems like a pain, let me host your application or theme. See bbthe.me for more information. It's free!