Difference between revisions of "Tunnelblick"
(→Connecting to the VPN)
|(One intermediate revision by one other user not shown)|
Latest revision as of 17:43, 26 November 2010
The client package of choice for Mac systems is Tunnelblick. This package includes a binary version of OpenVPN (2.1-rc15, currently) and a GUI interface to allow connection and disconnection from the VPN. The client supports multiple VPN configurations. From the Tunnelblick webpage:
Tunnelblick is a ready-to-use graphical OpenVPN client for Mac OS X. It comes as an application package with all binaries and drivers included, no manual installation necessary. It works on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and above. Fixes to the recent compatibility problems with Leopard are included in the latest snapshot and are currently in the testing phase.
- The first step is to obtain a certificate package from a network administrator. Save this file somewhere, as we'll come back to it later.
- Once you have your client certificate package, download the current version of Tunnelblick. There should be a link on the right-hand side of the page under the heading Featured Downloads. This will download a Mac DMG file, and, by default, mount the image to your desktop.
- If the window displayed below doesn't automatically open, double-click on the Tunnelblick disk icon on your desktop to open it. Simple click on the Tunnelblick icon and drag it to the Applications folder next to it.
- Next, run the application (located in Macintosh HD -> Applications). You will be asked for your Mac password, possibly a couple times. The application will give an error about your configs. You can ignore this error, as we'll be fixing it in the next step.
- Browse to ~/Library/openvpn/ (~ is your home directory). Leave this window open, and now unzip/open your client certificate package we downloaded at step 1. Drag all four files into this folder. Clicking once on the name of the client.ovpn file, rename it to Foobeans (.ovpn will still remain). This is assuming you want your VPN connection to be called Foobeans.
- In the upper right corner of the screen, you should have a Tunnelblick icon. Click on it. If Connect 'Foobeans' doesn't appear, select Quit from the menu and restart Tunnelblick to pickup the changes.
- You're done!
Connecting to the VPN
To disconnect, simply click on the icon, and select the Foobeans connection again. The tunnel should go 'dark.'